When it comes to packaging, it all depends on the product inside it. For example, if you are packaging a fragile item, you need to use corrugated packaging and sheets to give it more strength. Similarly, if you are packing a food item, it will have a different quality. When it comes to choosing packaging for fresh Fruits and vegetables, it can be a difficult task to do so as these items decompose or turn bad very quickly. Therefore, the following things must be kept in mind:
- Inside the box, enough cushioning material should be provided so that fruits and vegetables do not get damaged while transportation. Since these items are soft and fresh, there is a higher risk that they will get damage probably by each other’s weight. So they should be properly spaced and packed with some cushion in between. Bananas have a high rate of going bad due to transportation because of this reason.
- Choose a packaging box which allows air to pass through it so that no microbial contamination can occur in it. Even the storage area where the boxes are places should have controlled temperature and light conditions so that the produce does not become over-ripe.
- Usually for fruit packaging, corrugated sheets are used as they provide more durability and strength without damaging the food items inside them.
- No matter what, the appearance of the packaging box should not be compromised. The brand name, logo or contact details should be fairly visible on the outer packaging, so that the retailer or consumer knows who to contact.
- Some medicine is also added which reduces the enzymatic activity so that the produce does not starts to decompose or go bad, for example, ascorbic acid or gas such as carbon mono-oxide is used for such purposes.
- When delivering such products directly to the consumers, it is important that they be fresh and has a longer shelf life. Also, such packaging should be easy to handle and not too heavy and labeled correctly so that the customers know what is inside it.
- In a lot of countries, supermarkets also offer a variety of fresh produce, such as in ready to eat form. Fruit might be cleaned and cut up into small pieces, and either packed in zip lock bags, small plastic boxes or in frozen form so that the consumers can readily open them and uses it. This does keep the fruits and vegetables fresher but reduces the shelf life. There is a high demand of it as the consumers can readily see the product in front of them, and it attracts them more too.
- Sometimes, preservatives might be added inside while packaging so that the produce may be kept for a longer period of time.
- Such edible items are at a higher risk of microbial contamination, therefore some enzyme needs to be added to protect these items from being contaminated by fungus or microbes before they even reach the consumer. This is also an important part in packaging, since one infected item will destroy the whole box.