What are the basic qualities of food packaging
When you are looking to designing food packaging, there are different aspects to it. The brand might see it as a way to brand their business and ship these items safely. The consumer will want the products to be delivered safely and timely. Similarly, the people who design these packaging will focus more on the design and its aesthetics. There comes a lot of choices you have to make. Like, which material to choose, how to properly wrap each product, choosing different types of boxes and whatnot.
- Before you choose a particular packing system, you need to properly assess and analyze its life cycle. This is termed as Life Cycle Assessment or LCA. A lot of researches spend time on this concept to analyze the life cycle of each food item, and to develop different systems and software which can help to improve it further.
- You want to make sure that you choose materials that will safely transport your items. This depends upon what type of food is being shipped and the distance. Fruits or other delicate items need proper wrapping to be shipped without damage. Similarly, if you are shipping baked goods, you need to pack each of them in proper boxes first then do secondary layer. So, either you use glass, cardboard, plastic or corrugated packaging; it all depends on a number of other factors.
- Always prefer to choose sustainable options. Even in your packaging system, try to incorporate reusable and recyclable items and say no to plastics. The more you choose bio-degradable products, the safer it is for the environment. Even from the brand’s point of view, it is cheaper to buy boxes in bulk only once, and recycle or re-use the remaining instead of purchasing again and again.
- Food particles are susceptible to degradation and microbial or insects contamination. Therefore, such items need to be properly packed and made safe. Preservatives are added where there is a high risk of oxidation or items turning bad. Then, in secondary packaging also, they are made sure of that temperature is maintained and they are kept safe from any harsh environment. Always label the requirements on each product and also on the main box.
- There are plenty of smart packaging systems available which are mainly used for poultry or seafood. These types of systems are specially made for protein or muscle containing foods as there is a high risk of contamination.
- It is important to know what types of materials are being used. Some of them, when exposed to high temperatures, may release toxins which can harm the food and affect its safety. Such harmful items may include polythene, Styrofoam and numerous kinds of plastics. This is one main reason also why plastics are now being banned internationally as they are extremely dangerous for everybody. This is why temperature regulation is so important during packaging, and it should be checked on a routine basis by the shipping department, or else it can waste the food items.